Marriage Visa Lawyer in Philadelphia_ PA

Marriage Visa Lawyer in Philadelphia, PA

What You Need to Know About a Marriage Visa: Immigration Lawyer in Philadelphia, PA Explains

Marriage Visa Lawyer in Philadelphia_ PAOne of the most common types of visas is a marriage visa. Officially known as a K-1 visa, a marriage visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows a noncitizen to come to the United States for the purpose of marrying a citizen. This is also one of the most important types of visas because it is a direct pathway to receiving a green card or permanent resident card. But it is also one of the most scrutinized types of visas because it can lead to a green card. This is why individuals who are seeking to apply for a K-1 marriage visa should ask an experienced immigration attorney in Philadelphia, PA, for help. Visa applicants should call our immigration law firm of MC Law Group, LLC to ensure their marriage visa and green card applications are timely and adequately completed. Our compassionate and dedicated team can gather all relevant documents you need to present with your papers. Our team will also manage any communications with the government agency, handling all requests for information, answering questions, and providing any further evidence if needed. Learn how we can help you with your K-1 marriage visa application by calling our office to schedule a free consultation.

What is a K-1 Visa?

A K-1 visa is known as a marriage visa or a fiancé or fiancée visa. It allows the fiancé or fiancée of a United States citizen to enter the United States to marry. The K-1 visa is issued for 90 days, meaning the wedding must be performed within 90 days of arrival to the United States. This requires a level of planning and coordination to apply, plan the wedding, arrive, and then wed all within a rather short timeframe. The marriage visa or K-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa. This means that the noncitizen coming to the United States to marry must apply for permanent resident status after the wedding in order to stay. This is through the green card application process.

What Constitutes a Fiancé or Fiancée?

In order to obtain a K-1 visa, the foreign citizen/noncitizen must be a fiancé or fiancée of a United States citizen. This means that the marriage must be legally recognized in the state where the couple intends to get wed. The marriage itself must also be legal and both parties must be legally free to marry (i.e., not already married, underage, etc.). The citizen and noncitizen must have met within the last two years and have some type of ongoing relationship. However, there are instances where an arranged marriage (i.e., the man and woman cannot meet before the wedding), or where an “extreme hardship” may be granted.

What Happens to Noncitizen Children?

Where a fiancé or fiancée are noncitizens and have children, the children may be eligible to receive a K-2 visa. This allows the children to come over to the United States for the wedding and live in the United States. It also allows them to apply for a green card, which they would have to do, as a K-2 is also a nonimmigrant visa.

Need Help Applying for a K-1 Visa? Ask Our Immigration Lawyers in Philadelphia, PA for Help

Although it sounds like a K-1 marriage visa or fiancé/fiancée visa is a straightforward process, there are many logistical issues which may be better handled by a trained lawyer. This is particularly true if the couple have children or other family also intending to come over for the wedding, if individuals have been removed from the United States, if there are criminal proceedings/charges pending, or if there are any other instances where the government may have a reason to deny an application. If you or a loved one are looking for a K-1 visa, call our experienced immigration lawyers in Philadelphia, PA, at MC Law Group, LLC for help today by dialing (215) 496-0690. Call today to schedule your free consultation to learn how we can help you.
Call Now Button