Green Card Lawyer Vineland, NJ

What Should I Know About Immigration Issues?

The Philadelphia immigration lawyers at the MC Law Group, LLC provide clients with the safety and care they need. When families bring relatives to the United States, asylum is needed, or special accommodations are required, our law firm is here to help. Because this process can be complicated, we will intercede on behalf of the family. This is important because family members should not be forced to represent themselves in court.

We understand the U.S. immigration system, which allows us to help clients through a process that is difficult for everyone involved. We can also work with people who are escaping a dangerous situation, need assistance with naturalization, and help them understand the advantages of having a green card. Clients are urged to contact us and never try to handle this process alone.

How is Deportation or Removal Handled?

Deportation and removal can be a difficult time for any family. There are cases in which parents are to be deported while their children are natural-born citizens of the U.S. There may be misunderstandings that need to be resolved, or someone who escaped a dangerous situation in their home country has not been documented properly. We can perform the following:

  • Reach out to detainees who need representation
  • Research the nature of the deportation claim
  • Fight the government for our client’s rights
  • Petition to reverse the removal of a client

When deportation has been used as a threat, we will investigate the case to understand why deportation could be carried out. We can petition to stop the removal process, and we will accompany the family to court when needed. We can help someone get out of a detention center, and we will show a family how to proceed. There are also times when deportations or removals can be mitigated when there is a small misunderstanding or lack of procedure that might have caused this issue. We will review the case and ensure that the family or individual completes the steps to solve the problem.

A problem might also arise when someone is not a documented immigrant. There are many situations when visas expire, someone received the wrong visa, or they have not transferred their visa because their purpose in the country has changed. Moreover, there are those who continue to travel on the same visa, even though they cannot use it.

Families can approach us at any time when they need help. Individuals can ask us to intercede and ensure that immigration authorities understand how the problem can be rectified. We can even help with a new visa application when needed. Anyone who is dealing with a deportation or removal order deserves to be represented as vigorously as possible.

Can I Bring Family Members to the U.S.?

Immigration is often a multi-tiered process. There are a few visas available to those who would like to bring immediate family members to the U.S., including the following:

Immediate relative visa: This visa allows spouses, children under the age of 21, and parents of a U.S citizen to come to the country if they meet financial and residency requirements. This visa is reserved for U.S. citizens who wish to bring more family members to the country. There is no limit on these visas, but each person who applies must be attached to someone who meets governmental requirements. Our lawyers will ensure that all paperwork is filed correctly and that our clients qualify for this type of visa.

K-1 visa: Also known as the fiancé(e) visa, this type can be used when the applicant has met their fiancé(e) at least once in person. We need proof of this meeting before we can apply for this type of visa, and we will ensure that both applicants are properly listed on the documentation. These visas will change when the couple gets married. Clients must get married within 90 days of their arrival in the U.S. Clients also cannot obtain a fiancé(e) visa if they have not met their intended spouse. We can offer advice to our clients before they meet someone, and we can begin the visa application when they return from their trip.

K-3 visa: This visa is designed for spouses and is issued at a foreign consulate or regional service center prior to the applicant receiving documented immigrant status. We will help our clients complete the application, as well as plan and schedule the interview. This visa is often reserved for U.S. citizens who married a foreign national in a foreign country.

K-4 visa: This visa is reserved for the children of foreign nationals who are married to U.S. citizens. Children may fall into one of the following categories:

  • They were born to the couple
  • They were adopted before the age of 16, or
  • They are stepchildren under the age of 18

These visas are valid for two years, and we recommend that our clients apply for citizenship for the children as soon as possible.

V visa: This visa is offered adjacent to a green card. When someone has a green card, they can bring their relatives to the country when there has been a significant delay in the case.

No one should try to apply for a visa on their own because the process may be too complex. We can take care of the process on behalf of the client and guide the family through the steps involved.

Does the U.S. Government Have Preferences When Offering Relative Visas?

The U.S. government has a list of preferences when offering relative visas. These visas are given to relatives based on the following priorities:

  • Unmarried children of U.S. citizens
  • Spouses and children, along with additional unmarried children of U.S. citizens
  • Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
  • Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

We will explain these preferences during the process as they can be impacted by quotas that have been set up by the government. We will continue to update our clients as we petition the government for the proper visa. We ask our clients to take these preferences into account when working with us. We must work within the guidelines that have been established by the government, and we will need to clearly explain why certain visas should be issued. In short, some visas are more difficult to obtain than others.

What is a Green Card?

A green card is issued to someone who has permission to live and work in the U.S. This type of permanent authorization can be obtained through a number of means, including the following:

  • Family
  • Employment
  • Special immigrants
  • Afghan or Iraqi nationals
  • International journalists and broadcasters
  • A retired employee of an international organization, such as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and their family members
  • Refugees or asylees
  • Sex trafficking victims or victims of major crimes
  • Liberian refugees
  • Diversity status
  • Cuban nationals
  • Abuse victims
  • Lautenberg parolees
  • Indochinese immigrants
  • Native Americans
  • Canadians
  • Foreign diplomats and children born to foreign diplomats in the U.S.

Many of these categories are self-explanatory. Someone who is working, married to a U.S. citizen, or born to a U.S. citizen can receive a green card. Refugees and asylees can receive a green card because they escaped a dangerous situation, and abuse or crime victims can receive a green card because they may be stranded in the country. Immigrants of certain nationalities can apply for green cards directly, and diplomats may receive green cards because they are working and living in the U.S. for long periods of time. Employees of NATO and journalists can receive green cards because they plan to be in the country for some time or they are planning to be naturalized.

However, some categories are more confusing. For example, diversity status is chosen based on a lottery managed by the government. A Lautenberg parolee is someone who was:

  • Detained in the former Soviet Union, Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania as a religious minority
  • Paroled into the U.S.
  • In the U.S. for one year

These applicants can receive a visa based on their Lautenberg status, regardless of their eligibility. These particular people are not seeking political asylum, but they were allowed to travel to the U.S. after they were released. This means that we can establish a timeline that shows when and why these people were detained because of their religious status. We can show that they were released and help them apply for the Lautenberg green card. Although these categories can be confusing, we will work with our clients to help them understand which category works for them.

Can the Firm Petition for Political Asylum?

Political asylum is available to those who have been persecuted in their home country. We understand that leaving one’s home nation is difficult and often frightening. We can help our clients when they fall into special classes acknowledged by the U.S. government, including the following:

  • Race
  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Protected social groups
  • Persecuted political groups

We must build a convincing case that shows the government that political asylum is the only option for our client. We work with clients to ensure that they understand how the asylum process works, and we will file the application on their behalf. Political asylum may lead to naturalization or other types of visas. We know that gaining political asylum can take some time, and we will continue to guide our clients until they can begin the naturalization process.

Can the Firm Provide Clients with Special Visas for Their Safety?

There are special green card programs that can be used to protect people who fear for their safety. Although certain people are escaping countries around the world and need asylum, there are abuse victims who need special accommodations, including the following issues:

  • Self-petitioning people who are victims of abuse
  • Juveniles who are seeking asylum because they are victims of abuse
  • Abused spouses or children specifically from Cuba and Haiti
  • Someone who is escaping an abusive spouse or parent and is already in the U.S.

Abuse and extreme cruelty should not be tolerated under any circumstances, and victims of abuse have a legal route to enter the U.S. We can help file a self-petition that will allow abuse victims to enter the country. This is an especially important service for juveniles who simply cannot represent themselves. In many cases, a juvenile asylee has no idea that they can hire a lawyer. We are here to help those who believe there is no other option but to escape.

Can the Firm Help with Naturalization?

When immigrants come to the U.S., they may begin the naturalization process once they receive the proper visa and have permission to work in the country. Naturalization can take time, and we will assist families who need help filing for citizenship. We help clients complete the naturalization process until they are sworn in as U.S. citizens. Because our clients can bring family members to the country in most cases, we can start the process over with them. We are excited to help as many people as possible. Unfortunately, the government does not make this process easy.

Naturalization is often the goal for many of our clients, but it is often the last step for them. We will help each new member of the family plan to become a citizen and assist with dual citizenship, if possible. Additionally, we help other members of the family who do not want to be naturalized; we can aid those clients with visas. Dual citizenship is also helpful to those who would like to maintain a passport for their home country and the U.S. The same could be true of an American citizen who married a foreign national and wants to obtain dual citizenship. We help expedite the process as much as possible.

Why Hire an Immigration Lawyer?

Hiring an immigration lawyer ensures that someone who needs the appropriate visa or requires asylum can receive those services as quickly as possible. The U.S. immigration system is complex, and even one small error can cause problems for our clients. When the government is telling people that they cannot obtain a visa or receive asylum, these individuals have no legal recourse because they cannot represent themselves.

To achieve clients’ goals, we represent and protect their rights. For example, someone who has been detained does not have the resources to represent themselves. They cannot get in touch with immigration officials, local authorities, and prosecutors who may be involved in the case. We continue to work for our clients until they are safely released, naturalized, or receive the visa that they need. Our lawyers provide all the support that is required. In return, we ask our clients follow these guidelines:

  • Do not speak to immigration officials without us present.
  • Call us immediately when or if someone is detained.
  • Do not speak to lawyers who represent the government without one of our lawyers present.
  • Forward all phone calls and letters to us.

We will ensure that our clients receive the vigorous support that they need. Immigration can be a challenging and emotional process for families that are trying to stay in the country. We welcome all prospective clients to reach out to us as soon as possible.

Philadelphia Immigration Lawyers at the MC Law Group, LLC Assist Clients in All Types of Immigration Matters

The Philadelphia immigration lawyers at the MC Law Group, LLC help families with immigration issues every day. We work with U.S. residents, their families, asylees, and victims of abuse. Call us today at 215-496-0690 or contact us online for a free consultation. Located in Philadelphia, we serve clients throughout the tri-state area, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and nationwide.

Call Now Button